Friday, January 16, 2009


Awake!!! ALL THE DAYAK’S YOUTH...

HEY, Shalom! Nama beritak dek? (In Iban it’s means, How Are You?)
I’m Momo, in the world of Iban community, I am known as Boy (it’s a lame name from my kaban belayan (relatives), I never love it… but, it does makes my relationship become closer~
I am not a Chinese, I’m an Iban (so-called, Sea Dayak), although I speak no Iban, but for the sake of my identity, I did learn how to listen to the language, but my Iban still broken. Who knows why? Now I just able to blame my papa, because he didn’t teach me the language of our ancestor!
My ancestors were lived in Sungai Pinang, Simunjan and around that area. They were originated from Kapuas. I don’t know where it is! For your infomation, we are Iban Balau (our tribe). The Iban language that we use to speak are the UNIVERSAL Iban dialect that speak and understand by all the Iban.
According to what I know, in my big and large family, we are all united by our same belief, we are all Anglican members. My relative ever told me that, Balaus are very proud with their St. Maria’s Church (in Iban, Gejira Saint Maria) which are located in beside the Bukit Begunan highway. It was claimed to have the largest congregation of Anglican churches in Sarawak. Besides that, they are all staunch Christians.
As you know, I was grew up and educated in a situation where I need to mix a lot with Chinese. My mum’s Chinese, so at home we all converse in Cantonese and eating Cantonese foods and soups everyDAY! Except for the daily prayers that we recited and Christian Psalms that we sang, which were all in Iban language, there were no differences between my life and the life of Chinese youngsters.
Now, I am very salute with the elders of Chinese community as they really help their community to built schools and educated the new generation of Chinese people about their roots, cultures and dialects. It’s an amazing jobs.
Because of that kind of spirit, I notice that the Chinese parents are more concerned about their children education. For them, EDUCATION PROMOSIMG A BETTER FUTURE and MAKING MORE MONEY. It’s a good actions to inspire the youngsters to study hard.
When we changed our scope to Dayak communities, we realized that they are appreciated the presence of educations and schools which had been brought by the Anglican churches for those who hailed at Simunjan area, but their passion was not there. They doesn’t have that kind of actions where the Dayak parents really sacrifiied much for the education of the community. I knew some of the Dayaks even sold out their lands and properties just to send their new generations to study, it’s a good deeds and in the pass we had some prominent Dayak leaders, for instance, Tra Zahnder, Mendu, Kalong Ningkan and so on. They were all educated Ibans. Moreover, they also helped much in improving our life and settled our community affairs. Can we multiply the numbers of successful Ibans?! Ask yourself! Of course, we can.
Now, it’s our time, as an Iban youngster in this world, we really need to do something for our community! We are just a few hundred thousands in this world, a small numbers. So, if we don’t want to preserve our cultures or help our community, don’t you think that we will progress, NAY! It would not happen.
To success, please, all my beloved KABAN BELAYAN ENGGAU CULAI, don’t be lazy when you are in school, don’t be greedy when you are work, don’t be hearer of the good advises that preached by the PENGHULU, TUAI RUMAH, FATHERS, SISTERS ENGGAU PADERI, but be a doer of words. I’m proud to be Iban, how about you, if so, awake from darkness and idle fancies, let’s SERVE together. For Jesus will grant us such graces which sufficient for us to use.
I know, God will bless Dayaks, as HE HAD CREATED THEM, THUS HE WILL GUIDED THEM!

With love,
Momo, Nembiak Ari Sg.Rawak

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moses Stories

My days with 5 ALpha~

My days with 5 ALpha~