Sunday, June 7, 2009

When a city boy went back to his ancestor’s place

Fabian is driving? Too young for him to do that crazy stuff! But i will teach him soon...
The old wooden house used to belong to my grandparents, long long times ago!

I was stood near to one of the power house belongs to the village. It was so 'ancient'!

I was on the way to my grandpa's orchard and going to visit the pigs! The weather was so so HOT!

I am indeed a very typical city boy. Let me define the meaning of ‘city boy’!
In my perspective, a city boy will be a youngster who hails from town or city, of course, and he relies too much on modern gadgets as well as surround by many good facilities. Therefore, when that boy leaves his comfort zone or change of his daily routine, he will be very difficult.
Last Gawai Feast, I had returned back to my ancestor’s place, somewhere in Simpang Punda (Serian/Simunjan district border, 1 hour 30 minutes drive journey from Kuching City)… I took the time to re-explore many great things in the village.
Besides of eating, chatting, enjoying and sleeping, I really went into the orchards, bushes and some abandoned places around that village. It was based on my curiosity, I also captured photos!
It was hard to imagine, how can our elders survived in a place without internet connection and shopping centres, for example, Everise or H&L hypermarket. Life must be tough.
However, I know the fellow elders enjoy their life. They yielded many plants and crops, hunted for beasts, fishing and yea, for the Iban ladies, they love making straw mattress. Their life was filled with healthy activities, no lonesome and boredom can occupy their souls. Thus, sickness, go away! For spirituality, they had prayer meetings from time to time, it was strength for the fellow ancestors of mine to face difficulties and gain knowledge through sermons by the Anglican Priests.
Moreover, the villagers used mineral water in their daily routine. The water is directed flows from nearby mountains. It’s free and contained many good minerals. According to the folks, such water is very good to skin if consume it frequently. Mentioned about foods, it’s all about organic. Healthy!
Back to the reality, It was a blessing for me to know more about the basic life style that once practiced by my ancestors. It made me knew more about the roots and cultures of Ibans. Though, it was so tough for me to live there for a longer time, but a short break in village, it was so awesome. I saw swines, many fruit trees, and my grandparent’s old house and so on. Such experience can’t get from internet, and with pride, I went through it.
Eherm, then I realized I am a sakai!

2 comments:

  1. oppss,,
    u baru realised arr?
    hihik=p

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet2~ now then i knew! haha~ how is your day? i get allergy, cant go for outing!

    ReplyDelete

Moses Stories

My days with 5 ALpha~

My days with 5 ALpha~