Tuesday, June 2, 2009

oh wai, bisik dek pulai menuo?

This signboard is standing near my village! It os one of the symbolic icon...

The ladies were preparing foods for Makai Besai~
Oh wai, bisik dek pulai menuo?

Hi there! How are you guys? Before that, I would like to express my gratitude to all my friends who sent me Ari Gawai’s regards. So touched!
Well, let me re-introduce myself!
I am Kenny Moses anak Beruin Benedict, I am an Iban of Kampung Sungai Rawak. My ancestors were from the sub-ethnic of Balau. We are the mainstream Iban in Sri Aman and Samarahan areas. The Iban language that spoke by us is the universal standard Iban language. (In Iban’s world, we had some dialects based on their geographical background, like in Sibu, they were Iban of Rajang and so on.)
Although I inherit the Iban race identity through my father, but I speak no Iban and know not their cultures. I am not going to classify myself as ‘Iban Celup’ like what the society love to label the persons like me. I prefer to call myself as ‘Iban by-name’! Doesn’t like sounds better?
On last Gawai eve (31st of May, 2009), like previous years, I will follow my family members to go back to our village. In Iban, we called it ‘Pulai Menuo’. During that eve, we will be rushed by my dad to be fast in keeping our luggages. We had used to it! So, we will only arrive to my ancestor’s place as late as evening!
Then, during that night, we will start our ‘feast’ by having a big reunion meal, or we call it as ‘Makai Besai’! The foods were mainly consisted of our traditional eateries, for example, stew pork, Manuk Pangsoh, nasi panggang, nasi puyuk and so on. The foods were gorgeous! (If it was prepared by my inek (grandma) and aunty, they are cooking freak!) Before we had our meal, we will have a big group Thanksgiving prayers which used to be lead by the Penghulu or Orang Tuai (elders), the prayers were said by them in Iban, which I only understood a little bit, but I enjoy singing Iban Christian songs, it’s special. After a great and loud ‘Amen, Puji Tuhan’ proclaimed by the relatives, we will start makai!
Oh, after that, we used to dance, eat and sing until the morning of 1st June (Gawai Day). But I only stay awake until 4 am… A lilttle bit of complaint here… ehem… my fellow relatives love to sing Karaoke and have fun in every festive seasons (Christmas and Gawai Day, for clearify), their singing volume was so so loud! However, it is quite fun! For me, I enjoy the tit bits! But, if they started to catch me to dance with them, I will certainly get an excuse and ‘run-away’. I don’t dare to join them in dancing!
Every year, the Ibans must have new songs for their Harvest Day, in this year the title of the songs, I had forgotten it. But i realized that this year’s trend will be danced Pocho-pocho, along with the songs! So amazed me!



Tomorrow, i will tell you guys about my 1st Of June!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moses Stories

My days with 5 ALpha~

My days with 5 ALpha~